Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Beaver Dam Creek


The weather around here has been great and we had a very mild winter. Jordan and I finally got the opportunity to get out and do some fishing this past weekend. It was the first time out this year for me however Jordan has been practically living on the creeks and rivers like normal.

I had wanted to hit Watauga for some wade fishing but unfortunately TVA was generating. We decided to head towards VA a little ways and try out Beaver Dam Creek. It has been quite some time since I had been there.

We started out the day at Backbone Rock.  We didn't have that much success there as only one trout was caught.  I did manage to slip while trying to get up the bank and twist my ankle pretty good.  Luckily my waders and the cold water kept everything from swelling for the remainder of the day.  Unfortunately I would hate life once I got home.  Gotta love getting older.

We stopped at a few places on the way back up stream and caught a few more trout.  Here is a shot of our big fish for the day caught by myself as normal.  I not only caught the big fish for the day but also out caught Jordan by 4:1.  I guess he was just trying to let me catch up for all the fishing I had missed out on this year.

This was one of the better looking browns I had seen in quite some time and also was a non-stocked fish.  It was probably somewhere around 14 or so inches.  For a small creek like we were on I will take it.

Unfortunately the water was up from recent rains and my ankle was killing me so we didn't get to fish as much as I wanted to.  Hopefully we will get to give it another shot before the summer is over.  I want to get a good bit of fishing in this summer as it is Jordan's last before heading off to college in the fall.

Be sure to check back as I plan to put up some reviews on a few things, one of which being the Trout Magnets by Leland's Lures.  I purchased one of the kits and plan to try them out this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment