Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Watauga River fishing trip Saturday, May 28, 2011


Got up Saturday morning to do a little fishing/kayaking down Watauga River. Jordan and I hit the water by about 8:30 AM with plans to be at our put out spot by about 2 or 3 PM. We would have liked to stay on the water a little longer but TVA's generation schedule was to start generation at noon.

Watauga River Trip




Here is a track from the Every Trail app for Android mobile. I decided to give it a try because it inserts pictures taken while it is tracking. I plan on doing a write up on what I think about it soon.

Fishing for the day wasn't the best we have seen, however the water was great. Any day out on the river is better than sitting at home watching TV or doing chores. Jordan did better catching fish than I did. I didn't keep exact track but I would say that he caught about three to my every one. One thing of note I noticed about today was the amount of rainbows caught. Normally we catch a lot more browns than anything else.

We did get the chance to chat with a few other kayakers which is something we don't normally do. With all the time we spent on the water last summer I don't recall a single time where we were on the river with other kayakers. Of the three we chatted with none of them were fishing but it was good to see others out there.

It being Memorial Day weekend the river was pretty loaded with people wade fishing. From what those we talked to while floating by said, we weren't the only ones who weren't catching much.

Overall we had a great day spending time as a father and son. I can't imagine a better way to spending the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment